Chicory & Radish Salad with Caramelised Walnuts
I like combining opposing flavours and thus I find that the slightly bitter chicory goes very well with the sweetness of the caramelised walnuts.
It’s super quick to make, especially if you use a vegetable mandoline to slice the radish into beautifully thin pieces.
Equipment: vegetable mandoline, frying pan, baking paper
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 10 min
- 2 chicory heads
- 1 bunch of radish
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 30g walnuts
- 30g brown sugar
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil
1. Chop the end of the chicory, cut it half way along and then slice it into half rings. Spread onto a salad bowl / display plate. Top and tail the radish. Using a vegetable mandoline, slice it super thin. Spread on top of the chicory. Mix the olive oil, cider, salt & pepper and pour it over the veggies. Toss it gently together.
2. Crush the walnuts into quarters or slightly smaller (I use my hands to do it). Place in a frying pan with the coconut oil, sugar, 5 tbsp. of water and cook over a medium heat for about 5 minutes constantly stirring until all sugar is melted and nuts are coated. Once done, immediately place them onto parchment paper and separate the walnuts right away to make sure you’re not going to end up with an inseparable pile of nuts.
3. Once the walnuts are cool, spread them equally over the veggies and voila!