Crispy Tofu Spring Rolls With Almond Ginger Sauce
Spring rolls are my absolute favourite meal as you can pack as many nutrients as possible into one dish and never count calories. In fact, I never count calories, but I guess you know this by now :)
Makes: 12 spring rolls
Prep time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 12 rice paper rolls
- ¼ small shredded cabbage (white or red)
- 2 small carrots, julienned
- ½ green cucumber, julienned
- 1 avocado, julienned
- 1 bell pepper (red, yellow or green)
- 50g Alfalfa sprouts
- A few coriander leaves, chopped
- 300g firm tofu
- 4 tbsp. cornstarch
- 30g coconut oil or 4 tbsp. rapeseed oil
For the Almond-Ginger Sauce:
- 2 tbsp. almond butter
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds
- ½ tsp. chili flakes
- 60ml warm filtered water
1. Start by preparing the tofu. Place it inside the tofu press and leave for 30 min or so to get rid of the excess of water. Too much water in tofu will make it crumble on the frying pan.
2. If you don’t have the press then wrap the tofu in a clean kitchen towel and then place it in between two chopping boards. Then place a couple of heavy books (encyclopedia size) on top, leave for min 30 min.
3. In the meantime, wash and chop all the vegetables placing them on a big chopping board or a couple of plates so that they are easily available for putting together the rolls.
4. Take out the tofu from the tofu press and cut into 2cm² cubes. Place the corn flour into a mixing bowl and then toss the tofu cubes in it. Pour the rapeseed oil into a frying pan and then fry the cubes, gently stirring from time to time, until golden.
Prepare the rice paper wrappers by pouring warm water into a large wide bowl. Dip the rice papers into the water until they become soft, about 20 seconds and then move them onto a large chopping board.
5. Start preparing your rolls by filling each with a couple of pieces of all the vegetables and 2-3 cubes of tofu in the middle. Fold up the bottom over the mixture then fold the sides over that. Finally fold over the top remaining piece.
6. Make the almond ginger sauce by whisking all its ingredients together.
7. Serve on a plate with the dipping sauce and enjoy!