Green & Cannellini Beans in Mint-Walnut Pesto
Since green beans are in season till the end of October, let’s make the most of them! Plus I really like the unusual taste of the mint pesto.
Note: It seems that there is a lot of confusion over the name green beans. Well, at least I thought so when I started writing this recipe. So the long beans you can see on the photo I would previously call runner beans. I have now learnt that runner beans are the ones that I would previously call broad beans. Probably I’m just lost in translation. Saying that, there are so many names for those long beans (starting from string beans, snap beans, fine beans, French beans or even Haricots Verts for the leaner and crispier types) that I’d probably next time be shopping for the shape of the bean, not the name on the package.
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 200g fine beans, ends trimmed
- 1 can of Cannellini beans (400g)
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the pesto
- 25g mint leaves without stems
- 20g Vegan Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 30g walnuts (soaked overnight)
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 60g extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Drain the walnuts. Lay out the roasting tray with the baking paper. Spread the walnuts and place them in the oven for 12 minutes. Check if golden, and if not, roast them for another couple of minutes.
- Boil or steam the green beans until tender.
- To make the pesto, place all of its ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Place the pesto, green beans and cannellini in a salad bowl and toss well. Add freshly ground black pepper to taste and enjoy!