Preserved Lemon Tapenade Puff Pastry Pizza
This really is a statement dish and yet it’s really easy to make! Just do yourself a favour and buy ready-made puff pastry. I was vegan for 18 months before I realised that this is completely plant-based! Unless you go for the “posh” version which has butter in it…!
Every time I serve it, people ask me what is the amazing flavour I add to it. Well, check out the recipe below and you’ll know my secret 🙂 .
Equipment: rolling pin, baking tray, baking paper, blender, vegetable peeler, griddle frying pan.
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 15 min
- 160g (½ of the pack) Puff Pastry (ready-rolled or in a block)
- 2 preserved lemons
- 150g green olives, stones removed (supermarket cheap ones are good here!)
- 30g extra virgin olive oil
- Small bunch of fresh basil leaves
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt, to taste
- 3 onions
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. dried rosemary
- 1 courgette
- Rapeseed oil
- 250g Baby Tomatoes
1. Roll out the puff pastry to fit your baking tray, using a little bit of flour to prevent it from sticking. Lay it out on the baking paper on the tray.
2. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
3. Place the preserved lemons, olives, olive oil, basil leaves, pepper & salt in a blender and blitz until consistent but not necessarily smooth: a little bit of texture is good here.
4. Peel and roughly chop the onions, add to a frying pan with the coconut oil and then fry on a high heat for 3-5 minutes, constantly stirring, until golden. Add the mushrooms and rosemary and fry for another 5 minutes.
5. Cut the ends off the courgette. Using a vegetable peeler shave the courgette lengthways. Using a silicon brush, paint the griddle with rapeseed oil and turn the heat to high. Once the pan is hot, place the courgette strips on top – a few at a time – in a single layer. Grill for about 30-45 sec – one side only – and then place aside. Grill another layer brushing the pan with oil every 2-3 layers, or when it dries out. Continue until you’ve grilled them all.
6. To assemble: spread the tapenade onto the puff pastry, leaving about a 1.5 cm margin. Add the mushroom layer and then the courgettes. Wash the baby tomatoes, cut them in half and spread them over the courgettes, open face up.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes or until the sides of puff pastry becomes golden.