Simplified Ratatouille with Chickpeas
This simple version of ratatouille has all the flavours needed and it doesn’t take much time to make which is really the main principle in my kitchen. Serve with roasted couscous, rice or roasted buckwheat and voila! :-)
Cooking time: 40 min
- 2 onions
- 4 tbsp. refined coconut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp. fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp. mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp. rosemary
- 1 tbsp. marjoram
- ½ tsp. chilli flakes
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 tbsp. vegetable bouillon
- 1-2 aubergines
- 2 courgettes, chopped into squares
- 300g vine tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400 ml canned tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) chickpeas, drained
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 220°C and roast the aubergines according to the recipe here (minus tikka masala).
2. Peel and chop the onions. Add the coconut oil to the frying pan and fry the onions on a high heat constantly stirring until golden, about 2-3 minutes. Turn down the heat; add the garlic and all the spices and cook for another 2 minutes.
3. Add the courgettes, tomatoes, canned tomatoes & bouillon. Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to medium and cook for another 10 minutes. Add the roasted aubergines, chickpeas, spray a glug of olive oil on top, season with salt & pepper. Serve with chopped parsley on top.