Spaghetti Squash Lasagna
I find spaghetti squash totally amazing. If they say that life is often stranger than fiction then I say that spaghetti squash is better than spaghetti. A delicate velvet taste and all made from plants. My only wish would be for them to be a bit more accessible, i.e. not just available on the farmers markets or some other uber-pricey food stores. However, if you do find one somewhere, grab it fast with both hands and pick up this recipe! 🙂
Equipment: roasting tray, baking paper, frying pan, blender, baking dish
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 1 hour
- 1 spaghetti squash
- Rapeseed oil
- 6 large garlic cloves, peeled & crushed
- 400g frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- ½ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 100g cashews
- 50g vegan parmesan
For the White Sauce
- 100g cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 400ml almond milk (or any other nut milk)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 4 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot or corn-starch
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- Freshly grounded black pepper & salt to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Place it cut-side down onto the baking dish laid out with baking paper. Roast for about 35-45 minutes, or until tender (the roasting time will depend on the size of the squash). Remove from the oven, allow to cool, and then – using a fork – gently scrape the flesh to create long strands. Place aside.
3. In a frying pan melt the coconut oil, add garlic, fry on a medium heat for about 1 minute; be careful not to burn the garlic. Mix in the frozen spinach and grind the nutmeg on top. Stir in a couple of times, cover with a lid and cook for about 10 minutes on a low heat stirring frequently.
5. To make the white sauce: put all the ingredients in a blender and then transfer it into a small cooking pan. Bring to boil and then simmer constantly stirring until it thickens, creating custard like consistency, about 5-8 minutes. Gently fold with the garlic-spinach mixture.
6. Blend cashews with Parmesan until texture resembles big bread crumbs. Set aside.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
8. Grease the baking dish with rapeseed or coconut oil, add half of the squash, distribute it evenly across the dish; this will be your first layer. For the second layer add the spinach-white sauce. Cover it evenly with the rest of the spaghetti squash. Sprinkle the cashew-Parmesan on top. Bake for about 20 minutes on 180°C or until the crust becomes slightly golden.