Radicchio (Chicory) Raw Salad
The trick here really lies in the dressing.
As for the veggies, you can play with the ingredients as much as you want.
The version below is quite light, but I’ll add a few more options for you to choose from in case you need to substitute.
Radicchio is also called red endive or red chicory. If you follow my work you probably heard me saying that I always look to add colour to my dishes. A) it looks pretty; B) this is where the nutrients are. As herbivores, we can see colours so that we can easily reach for those nutrient-dense plants or parts of plants. (Did you know that carnivores are colour-blind as they don’t draw their nutrients from plants?)
So you can certainly substitute red radicchio with the yellow endive, but keep in mind the above.
You could also substitute radicchio with red cabbage, however the former is a little bit more bitter and spicier, and also a little bit more delicate in texture. For example, you can easily chop the radicchio with a simple kitchen knife, however, if you are substituting with cabbage, I would certainly use a vegetable mandoline and shred it on the very fine settings. That’s obviously a personal preference, but I always think of the texture of my meal, not only about the taste or the presentation.
Equipment: blender / food processor, vegetable mandoline, julienne peeler
Prep time: 20 min
- ½ radicchio head
- 1 small yellow / green courgette
- 1 red / yellow pepper
- ½ fennel bulb
- 200g canned corn
- 1 large carrot
- ½ red onion
- Spring onions
- Small bunch of coriander leaves
- 4 dates, pitted
- ½ lemon, peeled, pips removed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 orange, peeled
- 1 tsp. Chinese five spice
- Thumb-size root ginger, peeled
- 40g sesame oil
Additional veggies to play / substitute with
- White chicory,
- Red or white cabbage,
- Finely sliced raw broccoli
- Finely sliced mangetout
- Variety of sprouts
1. Place dates, lemon, orange, garlic, Chinese five spice, ginger and sesame oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
2. Thinly chop the radicchio, spring onion & coriander. Using a vegetable mandoline shred the fennel bulb, courgette and the onion. Julienne the carrot.
3. Toss all the veggies and the dressing together. If available, allow the tastes to fuse by putting it aside for 20 min.