Warm Pearl Barley Kale Salad
Who said that a salad has to be eaten cold? I think the best warm salads I ate were in France, this perfect combination of raw/cold ingredients with a warm dressing. Anyway, I’m the boss in my kitchen so I make the rules. And so should you.
Since the winter is coming and it’s harder to get perfect tomatoes, this is the recipe that I put together looking for a healthy combinations of grains, beans & greens. My preferred way is to eat it warm but not necessarily steaming hot.
Equipment: oven, roasting tray, baking paper, steamer or frying pan
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 40 min
- 150g Pearl Barley
- 1 tsp. vegetable bouillon
- 200g kale
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 400g tin of kidney beans, drained
- Rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup and some more for roasting the carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled & pressed
- ½ tsp. cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp. turmeric
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 220° C
2. Place the pearl barley in 450ml of water, bring to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer, add the vegetable bouillon and cook until tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, about 40 minutes. Once done, drain and place aside.
3. Remove both ends from the carrots and peel (unless organic). Then cut them into batonnets. Spread them on a roasting tray covered with baking paper, using a silicon brush paint them with rapeseed oil and maple syrup. Sprinkle generously the cumin on top. Roast for 20 minutes or until golden then place aside.
3. Remove the stems from the kale, wash it and shred it with your hands. Steam for 12 min. If you don’t have a steamer then add two tbsp. of coconut oil onto a large frying pan, add the kale and then fry, stirring occasionally, covering with a lid until it wilts for about 10 min.
4. In a salad bowl add olive oil, mustard, maple syrup, garlic, cayenne pepper, turmeric, pepper & salt. Stir well. Add the cooked barley, carrots, kale, beans and mix altogether. Serve warm.