Sun Dried Tomato Quinoa
Ah, the mighty quinoa, the queen of grains! I could eat it everyday, literally any time of the day. And to believe that there was a point in time that I didn’t like it – it’s almost unthinkable! It took me a while to realise what a cardinal mistake I was making while cooking it. You really have to rinse it properly before boiling it. This is a very important step not to be missed as quinoa contains a chemical called saponin and without rinsing it has a bitter soapy taste. So, there you go, no rest for the lazy ones 😉
This is my favourite quinoa recipe by far; I usually make it in big batches and add a spoon of it to (almost) every meal. It also keeps well in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 300g quinoa
- 80g sun-dried tomatoes (plus 3 tbsp. of the marinated oil they come with)
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil or rapeseed oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 100g tomato puree (that’s half a tub)
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 300ml water
- Small bunch of parsley, finely chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. Place the sun-dried tomatoes and the oil they come with in a blender and blitz until smooth.
2. Place quinoa in a fine colander and rinse thoroughly under a tap. (super important!)
3. Melt the coconut oil in a frying pan and add the onions. Fry on a high heat stirring constantly for about 2 minutes, until golden.
4. Turn down the heat and add garlic, tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, pureed sun-dried tomatoes, oregano, drained quinoa and boiling water. Cover with a lid and simmer stirring occasionally until all the water is evaporated (about 20 min) and you can start noticing that the quinoa is releasing the little sprouts or ‘tails’.
5. Serve warm with parsley and freshly ground pepper on top.