Miso Roasted Veggies
Simple. Quick. Delicious.
Miso is usually, but not only, made from fermented soya beans. Apart from just being salty it adds to the dishes a fifth principal taste (the other four being “salty”, “sweet”, “bitter” and “sour”) known as umami, sometimes described as ‘brothy’ or meaty.
Equipment: oven, roasting tray
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20-30 min
- Small cauliflower
- Bunch of kale
- 2-3 carrots (rainbow, if available)
- 2 tbsp. miso paste
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses (or maple syrup)
- 2 tbsp. rapeseed oil (or any veg cooking oil)
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Divide the cauliflower into florets, roughly chop the kale. If carrots are small you can use them whole, otherwise cut them lengthways into sticks.
3. Mix the glaze ingredients. Using a silicon brush spread the glaze over the veggies.
4. Roast the carrots and cauliflower for the fist 20 min. Add the kale and put back into the oven for another 5-10 min, or until golden. Be careful not to burn the delicate leaves of kale.
5. Serve over pearl barley or pasta; add hummus, salt & pepper to taste and a drop of extra virgin olive oil, if needed.