Mustard-Ginger Cream Sauce
This wonderful cream sauce is a fantastic addition to warm astringent dishes (quiche, eggless potato ‘omelette’ or on an open savoury sandwich). Saying that, I’m the last person on earth to be called a ‘food purist’ and thus my philosophy on mixing flavours is this: if it tastes good FOR YOU, go for it. And I would certainly advise you to go for it and make this delicious cream sauce. :)
Prep time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 250ml vegetable broth
- 2 tsp. nutritional yeast
- 3 tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 tbsp. Ginger-garlic paste
- 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. corn-starch (aka cornflour)
- Pinch of salt
1. Add the onions onto the frying pan; add the coconut oil and fry on a high heat constantly stirring until golden brown (2-3 min).
2. Turn the heat to medium; add garlic and fry for another 1 min.
3. Add the vegetable broth, nutritional yeast, white wine vinegar, oregano, thyme, garlic-ginger paste and cook on a medium heat until the water content reduces in half.
4. Add the corn-starch, mustard and salt and cook for another couple of minutes until its consistency sets.
5. Transfer into a food processor and blend until smooth.