Amazing Veggie Chilli – Jamie Oliver
As much as I like to create my own recipes, I actually do own quite a few cookbooks. When I lack inspiration it’s great to sift through them: there is usually a recipe that I love but somehow forgot about it. Alternatively I go to Google Images and search for a specific veg I want to cook with looking for what can be done with it.
I got the new book ‘Veg’ by Jamie Oliver in Sainsbury’s when it just came out and was still half price. Saying that, it’s brilliant and I would definitely pay the full price. Let’s not devalue good stuff, right?
I’m paraphrasing the recipe below, making it a bit shorter.
This dish is D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. It would be very quick to make should I have a bigger chargrill / griddle pan. But once you do the grilling (it’s worth it!) – you’re basically there.
Enjoy and thank you Jamie!
Prep time: 1 h
Cooking time: 30 min
- 2 red onions
- 1 large sweet potato
- 3 mixed-colour peppers
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 lemon
- 1x 400g tin of cannellini / haricot / turtle / kidney beans
- ½ tsp. of chilli (or to your liking)
- ½ tbs. bullion
1. Preheat a griddle pan to high. Peel the onions, scrub the sweet potato and deseed the peppers. Cut the veggies into 1cm slices and chargrill, working in batches. Once done, put aside.
2. Add coconut oil onto a large cooking pot over a medium-heat and stir in the cumin and paprika. Peel, roughly chop the garlic, finely grate in the lemon zest, and add the grilled veg (roughly chop them into smaller pieces first) bit by bit, stirring regularly.
3. Tip in the beans (juice and all), and 1½ tins’ worth of water, then add chilli & bullion. Season with sea salt and black pepper and simmer for 30 min, or until thickened and reduced.
Serve with brown rice or pearl barley and chopped mint leaves on top.